Monday, August 9, 2010

Brasstown Falls, times four!


These falls are in the way west corner of Oconee County, kind of near the intersection of North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia. I hadn't been to Oconee at all yet, so Vegas and I thought we'd take a morning trip before it got too hot outside to hike. (Yeah, I'm still a wimp. 95 degrees and 100% humidity still trumps me.) Above is Brasstown Falls Cascades. The next two are Brasstown Falls Veil, from the front and from the top. Although not a long hike, you wouldn't want to try this one in the rain, and if you can't haul yourself up slick steep surfaces by pulling on tree roots, I don't think I'd bother. Or if you have a dog you can't put in a backpack. On the plus side, the injured knee is holding up well! :)




Brasstown Falls Sluice, note extremely creepy cave on opposite side of the creek.



Vegas says, PUT ME IN THE BACKPACK NOW! lol



Little Brasstown Falls, a little ways upstream from the previous three falls. Probably named such because it's smaller, like 40 feet tall. You have to cross Brasstown Creek to get to this one, which mean you either take off your boots and wade up to your thighs, or try to cross long slippery logs and inevitably end up in water up to your thighs. Either way, you're gonna be wet driving home, but worth the effort. :) Now for a nap...



2 comments:

  1. Nice Shots! I've only been there once and it was about 6 years ago. Need to go back with the better camera! Also, I didn't even know about Little Brasstown during that last trip.

    The pair of flowers are Morning Glorys. You would not have seen them if you waited until the afternoon. The flowers only come out in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This fantastic to have that many falls so close in 1 hike...cant wait to do this one!

    ReplyDelete