Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Stone Mountain State Park


Ok, so I've been due for a good hike, in a good park, with steep trails, and perhaps a waterfall or three. Stone Mountain fit the bill. It's about 90 minutes away, and beautiful. 7 or so miles of hiking, much of it steep, with 6 river crossings (read: waterproof shoes). Excellent. :)


Our southern version of the white tailed deer. This one looks a bit pregnant...



Mountain Laurel!



Stone Mountain Falls



Mmm... jasmine...



Lower Falls (above)

Middle Falls (below)

Stone Mountain (from the bottom). You can rock climb here... I made sure to check it out.




Below is the Hutchinson homestead... Randomly in the middle of the park. It has the old house cabin, some barns, etc. Very cool.



One of my favorites: the tulip poplar tree flower!

So I got the view of Stone Mountain, now it was time to go to the top... Which involved a LOT of stairs. In 93 degree heat. And 100% humidity. WHEW.




Ok, so the mountain's not real tall, by blue ridge standards. But a nice strenuous hike, and look at the views... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment