For my birthday, Blair took me to Biltmore. (see above) It's not actually a castle, it's the largest house in the United States, built in the 1890s by George Washington Vanderbilt, who was a bachelor at the time. It has 250 rooms, and 8000 acres of grounds. Horseback riding trails, Land Rover trails, a bass pond, fly fishing classes, a lake, a ton of gardens, its own winery, a functional farm, and more. Wow.
These photos are from the walled garden. It includes a rose garden which contains 250 species of roses. Do not let that confuse you, it contains far more than 250 plants! (you know I'm in heaven there!!) :)
(this pic is for Mom: here's that heron at California Ave I was telling you about!) I know this picture is out of place, but it's my party and I'll put it there if I want to... ;)
And alas, you can't take pictures inside the house, because it's been meticulously restored, with all the 200 year old tapestries and draperies and furniture. Sorry!!!! You only get to see the outside! So, when you come to visit, we will take you to Biltmore if you want to go! :)

No comments:
Post a Comment