PEACHES! :)
So the red one on the left is a strawberry (haha) which you'll note is pretty much peach-sized. I put that in here for comparison! The peach on the left is a cling variety called Springold. It is soft and squishy and when you eat it, you have to lean over to keep the red juice from running down your arm. 5 stars for flavor and juiciness, 1 star for longevity out of the fridge, and 1 star for usefulness in cutting/slicing/cooking. It is the earliest peach to ripen. The peach on the right is a cling variety called Junegold. It is not NEARLY so squishy and sweet as the Springold. It is very firm and a little sour like the ones they truck into Michigan. 1 star for flavor and juiciness, 3 stars for longevity, and 2 stars for usefulness in cutting/slicing/cooking. I made a gluten free peach pie tonight with this variety (see below). But for eating, give me the Springold. There may or may not be two buckets of strawberries and two bags of peaches in my fridge, thereby eliminating any extra space for food. :)
If you're interested, I will post a list of the 34 varieties of peaches in order of their appearance by week. Or else you can visit http://strawberryhillusa.com/vari.php to see for yourself. PS if you want peaches shipped, you can't get them til after July 1st because they do not ship the Cling varieties. I do not know why. If you want some, you can come visit, or place your orders with Mom for when she comes to visit, or buy them online from Abbotts.
So here's my first attempt at GF Peach Pie. Not as sweet as I'd like, but I used the "wrong" peach, and I would definitely add sugar to the crust recipe next time. However, this is actually quite good for a first attempt, and I will continue to rate the peaches as we try them! Mmmm...

Baking a peach pie, you are becoming a real southern belle! Grandma will be proud.
ReplyDeleteI will add a picture later. Blair is eating a peach right now and complaining the juice is dripping off his hand, haha. :)
ReplyDeleteBeautiful pie missy melissy. Better than the ones from Whole foods you showed me?
ReplyDeleteYup! This one you don't have to defrost! lol
ReplyDeleteCan you post the recipe for the GF pie? My wife can't eat gluten, and we love good recipes!
ReplyDeleteMy mother-in-law is allergic to Gluten, so we are also always looking for Gluten Free recipes
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't tell your southern neighbors if you add sugar to your pie dough. Uncle Roscoe always said "It ain't real pie dough and it ain't real corn bread if it's got sugar in it!!" So, they may run you out of town...
ReplyDeleteFor the anonymous poster who wants the recipe (and Jack):
ReplyDeleteGF Peach Pie:
Crust: 1/2 c shortening
1 1/2 c rice flour (I would use sweet white next time)
Cold water
Mix shortening into rice flour to form crumb texture. Add water by tablespoon until soft enough to form a ball. (probably took me 6-8 tbsp). Flatten onto bottom of pie pan, use a fork to prick the bottom of the crust to prevent buckling. Bake at 400 degrees 7-10 minutes until firm enough to support peaches. (not until brown) This will only be enough for the bottom crust. I mixed another half batch to make the top crust lattice.
Peach mix:
6 LARGE sliced peaches (I used about 10 small ones)
3/4 c brown sugar
1/3 c all purpose GF flour blend (I have a storebought box I used)
1 TBsp cornstarch
3 TBsp light corn syrup
1 TBsp lemon juice
1/3 cup butter
Arrange peaches in a nine inch pie pan lined with crust (above). Combine rest of ingredients in a saucepan; heat on low until sugar dissolves. Cool slightly then pour over fruit. Top pie with lattice crust if desired.
Bake at 400 degrees 35 minutes.
Again, I think the crust needs a little sugar. If you're a diehard sugarfree crust purist, try it this way first!