Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Carolina Autumn Hiking Part 1: Asheville And Around


Mt. Mitchell State Park

As copied from the Asheville 2009 Travel Guide:
Located in a 1,855-acre North Carolina State Park, Mount Mitchell (elevation 6,684 feet) is the highest point east of the Rockies. Located about 35 miles northeast of downtown Asheville, you reach Mount Mitchell via a very scenic drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway. From the Parkway, take NC Highway 128 all the way to the summit.
Or, you could hike to the summit, which would take all day, and I haven't managed to do that yet. ;) Let me just say a word about the Blue Ridge Parkway in late October: Gorgeous. Let me just say a word about coming back down from the top of Mt. Mitchell in the late afternoon: FOG.







Pictures from the North Carolina Arboretum:

I don't know what the deal is with the stick teepee house, but I'm about to go live there. lol





Pictures taken from scenic I-26 between Asheville and Spartanburg. Yes, I was driving when I took these. There's no place to pull off, in fact it says not to stop on the side of the road. I just wanted pictures of the fall trees, but I realize these kind of suck. What do you want for downhill at 55 mph anyway? ;)


Finally, I think this is called Rhapsodie Falls. Went looking for Dismal Falls, missed pretty much any and all landmarks (was I supposed to notice the powerlines, oops), and only saw this one. Very pretty anyway.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Melissa,

    You have some great hiking country round your area, smashing photos! We haven't had a bad fall for foliage here in our little island just off Europe (aka the UK) either. Do you remember me - the British vet alone in Kansas City?

    Sorry to hear about your pneumonia, doesn't sound much fun, stay healthy from now on - and keep taking the pics..perhaps not whilst driving!

    Caroline

    ReplyDelete