Saturday, October 9, 2010

Sassafras Mountain




Earlier this week, when driving to see some waterfalls (See last post), I passed the driveway to this trailhead and thought hiking up Sassafras Mountain ought to be on the to-do list for the week! So you can see, the parking lot is empty because it's Friday at 7:00 am, and yes, that's my new car in the lot all by itself.


After ditching my car at the top of the road, maybe a half mile up?, here's the beginning of the trail. Actually, the Foothills Trail is 76 miles long, and runs along the Blue Ridge escarpment, and I'm only going to do a little piece of it. According to the sign, this part of the trail runs through to Table Rock, meaning, I've hiked other parts of the Foothills Trail before, and didn't realize it.

Below is Estatoe Creek, you can see it's kinda dark still.

Sunrise on the trail.... Round trip from the previous sign is 9 miles and total ascent is 2380 feet (and back down again). Sassafras Mountain is the tallest in South Carolina, at 3554 feet tall. For comparison, Table Rock is 3124 feet tall.


Even if you don't happen to like spiders, this web is still very cool.

Vegas says "yes" to reforestation! It smelled like delicious pine needles up here! :) Little Vegas actually walked about 7 of the 9+ miles on this trip by herself, including steps and stairs. She's quite the hiker these days, all 3 pounds of her. LOL

The only real view you can see from the top. The trail guide boasts "winter views", which I can see means, "you can see the scenery only when the trees lose their leaves". But you get the idea. Sunny and 75, perfect fall weather!

On the flat top of the mountain are these survey markers. I presume they mark the "real" top of the mountain, hence the highest point in South Carolina. I really wanted a big sign to say "You Are Here", but it didn't work that way.


Or, if you prefer, here's the sign that marks the continuation of the Foothills Trail from the summit of Sassafras Mountain onward toward Table Rock.

On the way back down, we were walking along looking at trees, and all of a sudden, THIS guy was in the middle of the trail. Blocking it, and not wanting to move. After discussion with various people, I still need positive identification of this 4+ foot long, 3+ inch diameter snake. I'm hoping it's a harmless 1. rat snake 2. black snake 3. blue racer. However, I was in fact walking a RatDog, and she was looking to be an hors d'oeurve if we continued on, and I didn't think pepper spray was going to do anything to a snake. So Mel's snaketiquette rule says that if the snake won't move, you'd better move instead, so we diverted from the trail... into tons of poison ivy. :(



Which is actually funny, since I had been just thinking for the past SEVEN miles that it was interesting how I've never seen a bear, a mountain lion, a snake, or even very rarely a PERSON on any of these hikes, and then I find the enormous scary snake on the pathway. After that, you'd think that I'd be good for the last couple miles. I mean, really, what are the chances I'd find another one? Apparently quite good, because here's Snake #2, not just on the path, but on the stairs to get down the path that avoids going down a cliff into certain danger... Also, not avoiding me, running from me, but instead turning to look at me with his best "don't tread on me" look. ARRRGH. We chose avoidance via sliding down the cliff. :(


Second snake avoided, and on hypervigilant snake-watch to the virtual exclusion of enjoying any further scenery, we finished the last couple miles, carrying Vegas so she wouldn't become someone's dinner. Here's some nice photos of the view on the way down...

Not sure what this is. Have not seen them before... Tiny little flowers.

The very first trees are starting to change, just a little. I figure in a couple of weeks they'll all be colorful. Until then, you have to hunt for them.

So, someone who knows, please tell me what these snakes are, because not only are they big, but they are out and about, and I'd really like to go hiking again soon. Thanks. Happy trails! :)


1 comment:

  1. From what I have found with the snakes around here, most..not all, but most black colored snakes without any sort of ring around their body/head are non-venomous. I believe it is a black racer.

    BUT! This link should help

    http://www.snakesandfrogs.com/scra/snakes/scsnake.htm

    ReplyDelete