
This is my good friend Liz, who I used to work with in South Carolina. Her friend Matt took us on her second, my first, outdoor climbing adventure a few weekends ago. Sorry I'm just now posting the pictures...
So anyway, this picture was taken at the END of the day, at the top of the mountain before we left. It was cold, and I wore long underwear, but you'll notice later that in the sun while you're climbing, it's NOT cold, you're sweating from adrenaline and exertion, haha. These routes are so NOT like the climbing gym.
These pictures are from Currahee Mountain in Toccoa, Georgia, which is pretty much right across the border from South Carolina. Some of the routes are top roped (the first one below, called All I Wanted Was a Pepsi), which means you attach the rope at the top, hike down, and then climb up from the bottom.

From underneath you can see that it's pretty vertical, but this route had stuff to hold onto. Below is Liz on the same route.

I think these next pictures are from the third climb, called "Frictionary". This is Matt, who is leading the climb, note he doesn't have a rope coming from the top. This is sport climbing, where the leader clips into fixed bolts as he climbs UP, and can only fall down to the next bolt of attachment. Then the next climbers have a top rope for safety. After climbing this and having NOTHING to hold onto, I find it amazing he was able to do this!


Rope's all fixed, but still hard. This is apparently friction rock, which is different than having handholds and footholds. Gravity sticks you to the rock, hopefully... Or you just slide down and start again.

This is probably the South Carolina side, since it has mountains? It was getting late, and cold, so we had to call it a day. Not to mention, exhausted. LOL After this trip, we got that awful cold spell, and then the holidays, so here's hoping it warms up enough to go again soon! :)






To tell the truth, I wish I were as strong and courageous as you. Mom
ReplyDelete